September 10, 2012
The 2012 Design & IP management survey came up with a few surprises this year. As far as the shift from internal or open source software to commercial Design Data Management software is concerned, the study reaffirmed previous studies. With the average high-end mobile design coming in at 134 million gates, the design files are requiring sophisticated Design Management software that has been specifically targeted toward IC Design. General purpose or PDM tools don’t solve the problem.
Gary Smith EDA's Design Management & IP Reuse Study covers:
1. Design Management Driving Forces, including the 'year of Debug'
2. IP Management
3. Design Management Adoption
4. Open Source Design Management Holes
5. Network Storage Bottlenecks (EDA Tool Slowdown, Symbolic Links)
6. DAC 2012 DM-IP reuse best practices panel takeaways (from AMD, NVIDIA & Broadcom)